I am sorry for any one person out there that has a job in Customer Service. This year is the first year where my job has included direct contact with customers. It is a lot harder than I thought it would be. I really dislike this part of my job.
In my head I imagine people to be sensible. I imagine them to have basic reasoning skills. I believe them to have basic education and to also have the capability to understand deductive reasoning. I am proved wrong on these imagined human aspects day after day in my job as I try my best to traverse the mine field that is Customer Service.
The reality is that people are mean. People do not want to listen to reason. People do not have basic education, or if they do, they don't want to use it. People are quick to judge a situation before they even know what is going on. They make assumptions based on a non-existent reality and then get mad when their expectations are not met.
Though I have been honest, cooperative, and helpful to each customer I talk to, somehow I have managed to piss off more people in this job than I have ever before in my whole life. I have no idea how people who work in Customer Service jobs for long periods of time keep their sanity and their will to communicate to other humans.
So, I guess what I am saying is that I am sorry to any Customer Service worker that I have been mean to in my past. I apologize for times that I have been hard to work with, or a down-right uncommunicative, non- responsive ass hole. I feel like I understand now what your job is like better than I ever have before, and I respect the hell out of each and every one of you for putting up with the general populace of terrible human beings on this planet.
In my head I imagine people to be sensible. I imagine them to have basic reasoning skills. I believe them to have basic education and to also have the capability to understand deductive reasoning. I am proved wrong on these imagined human aspects day after day in my job as I try my best to traverse the mine field that is Customer Service.
The reality is that people are mean. People do not want to listen to reason. People do not have basic education, or if they do, they don't want to use it. People are quick to judge a situation before they even know what is going on. They make assumptions based on a non-existent reality and then get mad when their expectations are not met.
Though I have been honest, cooperative, and helpful to each customer I talk to, somehow I have managed to piss off more people in this job than I have ever before in my whole life. I have no idea how people who work in Customer Service jobs for long periods of time keep their sanity and their will to communicate to other humans.
So, I guess what I am saying is that I am sorry to any Customer Service worker that I have been mean to in my past. I apologize for times that I have been hard to work with, or a down-right uncommunicative, non- responsive ass hole. I feel like I understand now what your job is like better than I ever have before, and I respect the hell out of each and every one of you for putting up with the general populace of terrible human beings on this planet.

Comments
Post a Comment