Dreams about Teeth

I have an unusually high number of dreams that involve teeth for being someone so incredibly unrelated and uninterested in the Dental or Tooth Fairy business. Nearly all dreams that I can remember contain some reference to my teeth breaking a part and falling out of my mouth.

Occasionally, my teeth will fall out one after another. Slowly becoming more loose over the course of the dream and then I sneeze and one falls out, or I bite down on food and a tooth comes out.

Sometimes I will be chewing gum and it will stick so thoroughly to my teeth I have to spend hours attempting to yank it out of my mouth.

These dreams quickly turn to nightmares and occasionally when I wake up a truly believe my teeth are all missing.

Vanity or Stress...

According to www.dreammoods.com "teeth dreams" can be related to nearly anything bad about yourself. I don't hold a tone of weight on dream psychology, but I am kind of curious about the re-occurring theme that seems to surround even the most awesome dreams. In the Teeth Dreams article, they break out all the areas that they feel make people dream about teeth. So I decided to go through these and see where I sit. 

Vanity 

Since teeth can make or break your level of attraction in some cases, it seems like having dreams about teeth can mean that you are having issues feeling attractive or sexually desirable.  Considering I am not a pretty person, but I don't feel like my teeth are the root cause of this imperfection... I am not sure if I can attribute this feeling to the teeth dreams. Sure, I am fatter since I had my son. Sure, I started getting my first ever cavities when I turned 30. Sure, my husband hasn't looked at me with any sense of desire in his eyes since we were in college. .... Well... maybe there is something there.

Communicating

Nope. Wait... So like am I stressed over the fact that sometimes I up and forget words and this is happening more often? Does it bother me when people make fun of me when I forget how to say a word and have to hear it pronounced correctly before I can say it right again. Does it drive me mad how people make assumptions about me or forget major events that have happened in my life and I have to remind them and then they are still like... what does that have to do with this?? Sure. Are all these things related to communication. Yeah. I guess. Does this make me think about teeth? No. Why is this a tooth thing?

Embarrassment

Isn't everyone embarrassed about stuff. Why does this lead to dreams about teeth. I get that having rotting teeth in real life might be embarrassing for some people, but why would general embarrassment relate to rotting teeth. I don't buy this one. 

Powerlessness

If teeth are a symbol of power, as the article indicates, then losing them in your dream would seem to signify a loss of power. Powerlessness is the anthem of my life. When you are the youngest child you are often out-voted, over-looked, forgotten, or otherwise left to your own devices. When you are a woman in the workplace and generally stepped over for promotions, ideas dismissed on a regular basis until brought up again by your male co-worker, or forced to disclose personal information because saying "I'm not comfortable" isn't enough of an explanation. Being in a car crash where there was nothing you could do to stop it. Yes. I guess you could say there is a ever-present feeling of general powerlessness in my life. Sure. Teeth falling out... but why does it occur so often? Do all women dream about their teeth falling out on a regular basis?

Death

This one seems to be some sort of predictive meaning. I don't really think my dreams are predicting my or any other person's impending demise. So. Skip. 

Money

Apparently, my teeth falling out means I am getting rich. Again this is a predictive meaning, which I really don't buy. Sure, we are getting money from the insurance company for our car crash, but I have these dreams too often. Maybe it if coincided with every pay-check or something, I would say there was something to this, but no. 

Deception

According to the article, this is related to an old saying dealing with your teeth falling out when tell lies. Is there a lie that I am living? No. Nope. No. 

Conclusion

I think I may have a secret fascination with my teeth. And considering how scared I am when I wake up that they really fell out... Maybe the winner of the teeth dream meaning is Vanity. In my dreams my teeth break apart, fall out, never rot. Then I am embarrassed that they fell out. Then I wake up thinking my teeth are all gone. Seems kinda vain to me.  

Comments